the implant (implanon) and irregular periods
“I enquired about getting the implant but I was told that my periods would be irregular as heck, is that common?”
Well, it’s reasonably common in side-effect terms? Their website says that 1 in 10 women stop using it because of issues around irregular bleeding, but put another way, that means 90% of women seem to be OK with it. Usually, if you think of 90% of anyone liking something, you’d imagine it was impossibly amazing.
Basically, it seems like a total crap-shoot as to whether you have side effects, which ones you get and how bad they are. Like, instead of irregular periods, they might just become less frequent and lighter, which you might even prefer! (20% of women stop having periods altogether.) Or they could get heavier and bewilderingly random.
Also, the side-effects tend be worse for the first 3-6 months and then settle down. And if you don’t like it, you can just have it removed! No big deal.
Contraception for overweight women
“I have a question about your post about long term birth control. Do you or any of your followers know of any implants or IUDs that are tested on and work on plus-sized women? My friend got an implant and she weighs about 210 pounds. The implant she was prescribed had only been tested on women who weighed 170 pounds or less and was found effective on them, but in her weight range, the hormone dosage wasn’t enough and it ended up failing on her (She didn’t get pregnant, thank God. She just started getting her periods again about a year after it was inserted and that’s how she knew it wasn’t working). So, do you know of any long-term contraceptives that will work on plus-sized women as well?”
You’re totally right, of course. Because hormonal contraception works by releasing hormones into your whole body, the bigger you are, the more diluted those hormones become. And beyond a certain point, they might be so diluted that they don’t really work properly.
IUDs on the other hand don’t work that way! First of all there’s a copper IUD, which is plenty effective (99.2%) and doesn’t use hormones at all. Basically as the sperm swim past the copper they get nuked, so it won’t be affected by your overall size.
There’s also a slightly more effective (99.8%) version that releases hormones too. But unlike the pill/patch/shot/implant which releases hormones throughout your whole body, it just works locally on your uterus and therefore requires a much smaller dose. So, it seems likely to me that this would be much less affected by your overall weight.
FYI: long-acting contraception is WAY more effective than birth control pills
So, if 2000 regular women all use birth control pills as contraception, how many do you think would be accidentally pregnant after a year?
The answer is: about 180.
But if 2000 women all get the implant and have sex for a year, how many of them do you think would be pregnant?
The answer is only one!
That’s 179 extra ladies getting accidentally knocked up using birth control pills rather than the implant. That’s a huge difference.
So, listen. Birth control pills can be a good way to work out if hormonal contraception agrees with you physically. (And if you take them perfectly accurately every single time, they’re very effective – if all 2000 of the pill-taking people did that then only 6, rather than 180, would get pregnant. It’s just that in practice we’re all a bit disorganised.)
But if you’re OK with pills, then I 1000% recommend moving to a longer-acting form of contraception. The dose of hormones is about the same (or much, much less with a progestogen-containing IUD) and, basically, there’s no way for you to fuck it up somehow. And that’s a big deal.
recently on orgasmictipsforgirls…
…in case you missed them.
- story (m/f): studying abroad
- fantasy (f/f): my first time with another girl
- story (m/m/f) my first threesome experience!
- fantasy (m/f) in a bathroom stall at the coffee shop
- story (m/f) going down on my ex-boss in his car
- story (f/f, m/f/f/m) my crazy sexual evolution with my best friend
- story (m/f) all over campus
- story (m/f) the hot fantasy my boyfriend sent me…
- story (m/f) my first time with a guy was actually pretty great!
- fantasy (m/f) getting with a guy at the amusement park
- fantasy (f/f) in the church bathroom
- story (m/f) breaking the tension
- story (f/f) drunken sex with my best friend
- story (m/f) an old friend
- story (m/f) watching TV
- fantasy (f/f) casey & me
- story (f/f) fucked with a strap-on
- fantasy (f/f)… also the strap-on
- story (m/f) my first sexual experience
- story (m/f) losing my virginity with a guy from the bar…
- story (m/f) he finally kissed me… up against the library shelves
- story (f/f) under a blanket
- story (m/f) on the couch
- story (m/f) camping
- story (m/f) a quickie at a party
- story (m/f) recovery
- story (m/f) him and the hot tub jets
- story (m/f) i lost my virginity and it was great!
- story (m/f) in the dark corner of a club…
- story (m/f) in a hurry
- fantasy (f/m/m) watching my boyfriend torture another man with pleasure
- story (f/f) natalie
- story (m/f) what happens on tour…
- fantasy (m/f) my professor and me
- story (m/f) morning sex
- story (m/f/f) kissing and playing
- story (m/f) in the car!
- story (f/f) truth or dare
- 37 sexy songs to make out (or have fun alone) to (chosen by you)
- i get kind of turned-on by thunder
- the sound of the rain really turns me on
- i get kind of turned-on by how awesome my new push-up bra makes my boobs look
- i got super-turned on after a yoga session, but whyyyy?
- is it weird that having a headcold makes me horny?
- i love that moment in porn when a guy enters a girl for the first time
- watching pregnant women touching themselves does it for me
- certain songs turn me on! is that weird?
- i think porn with people slathered in oil is incredibly hot
- i’m straight… but boobs in porn make me come every time!
- guys with deep voices? UNF
- tickle fights / teasing games turn me on, what gives?
- the girl i sext with is sad i’m scared to meet her, what should i do?
- is there a sex toy that feels like someone eating you out?
- my fiancé always orgasms before i do but then doesn’t get me off after. what should i do? and a helpful reply from someone!
- how can i get birth control on my parents’ health insurance if they don’t want me to?
- my mom snooped around my room, found condoms and now she says we ‘need to talk’! what now?
- can you take sex toys on a plane in your baggage?
- you probably don’t need to worry about how your vagina tastes but here are a bunch of people who said they could do it anyways
- i couldn’t get off for ages but now i’ve got privacy again i’m doing it a whole lot, that’s OK right?
- will my weird kink mean i can never have an actual sex life?
- i gave my (girl) friend a massage and it felt really sexual-tensiony! was i just imagining it?
- using a showerhead on my clit feels amazing but it gets too intense before i orgasm, how can i hold on?
- my boyfriend had an affair. now i’m sexually frustrated and want to experiment with another woman - would that just make us even?
- should i go to the doctor about [this vagina thing]? yes.
- i get my boyfriend off but he never returns the favour… why?
- what is that weird vagina-feeling i get when i play with my bellybutton? and aha this is the answer!
- should i take off my glasses during sex or not? also, people respond!
- i’m bi, but why do i only like girl/girl porn and guy/guy porn but not the hetero stuff?
- how do i arrange a threesome?
- what if sex (or masturbation!) gives you a headache? (also)
- why is my sex drive suddenly so freaking high?
- sex is just incredibly painful for me. why?
- i don’t really want to have sex with my boyfriend, but he pushes me into it anyway. what should i do?
- is this guy i talk to online (and seems totally like a catfish) probably a catfish?
- college students get six months of free amazon deliveries… so i used it to get a vibrator!
- my first vibrator is awesome (even if it doesn’t fit inside me!)
- this $13 vibe from spencers turns out to be really intense
- me and my friends all bought vibrators together, it was fun!
- i totally tried my flatmate’s vibrator while she was away
- the wevibe 4 is amazing
- so my brother ended up carrying my vibrator up and down several mountains
- i use a schick intuition razor as a sex toy and it’s great
- this marc jacobs mascara tube is actually brilliant for penetration
- scent-o markers though, seriously
- the water jets in my bathtub gave me my first orgasm
- a bath faucet and smutty fanfic gave me mine
- ohmygod showerheads are great
- at 19 i finally worked out how to come… with an electric toothbrush
- i masturbated in a bathroom stall on vacation… and it was so exciting
- i tried spanking myself while i masturbated and it made me come so hard!
- argh i squirted on my laptop trackpad and now it’s not working!
- i glimpsed my best friend’s brother fucking his girlfriend and it was so hot i had to sneak off and take care of things
- getting caught and other awkward masturbation moments
- i made myself squirt for the first time ever!
- i had my first orgasm humping a stuffed toy
- i used to grind against stuff for pleasure as a little kid and now i’m embarrassed thinking that i did it in front of people!
- climbing ropes and poles when i was young secretly got me off
- i had my first g-spot orgasm!
- masturbating in the day makes me extra-giggly and happy for some reason
- sex dreams and sleep-orgasms are weird but awesome (also this)
- when i masturbate i imagine i’m doing it in front of someone else
- that rumor about orgasms being better when you’re high turns out to be extremely accurate
- i took some nude selfies just for myself and it was a hot experience
- i recorded myself masturbating and watching it back was surprisingly cool
- my go-to fantasy is a complete stranger fucking me in public
- suddenly my new thing is getting off to solo girl videos, which is unexpected
- i fantasise about being tied up and fucked on a stage in front of a crowd
- my fantasy is a foursome… with three guys
- i can’t stop fantasising about my boss pinning me up against the wall and doing me
- 46 orgasmic messages from my lovely tumblr followers (and even more!)
fun with friends!
- my bi best friend went down on me for the first time and it was strange… but really nice
- sitting on my boyfriend’s face was leg-shakingly amazing
- my first time with a guy was sweet
- my boyfriend used one of those remote control vibrators on me at a cinema and oh my fucking god
- me and this girl i made friends with on twitter ended up sexting and it was so hot
- i had an orgasm just from making out with and grinding on my boyfriend! (and so did this person!)
- i got oral for the first time and it was incredible
- sex, religion and me
- eating out my friend turned me on so much i actually came just from doing it
- how i found the courage to love myself
- how i became a sex-positive person
- i gave my first blowjob and actually i was pretty awesome at it
- talking dirty to people online gets me off
- i love being teased until i beg… and then fucking demolished
- my boyfriend held me while i touched myself and that was fun
- my journey to self-acceptance
- what i love about going down on boys
- infographic: what porn girls like compared to guys
- duh: free birth control reduces pregnancy rates!
- 8 erotic PoC blogs
- squirting can be annoying when it happens all the time
- obamacare means you can get birth control with no co-pay
- how shaving your pubes can make your labia hurt
- bush is beautiful!
- 14 hot cute playful sexy homemade girl/girl lesbian videos
- don’t use ace bandages to bind your boobs
- a new vibrator that can be remotely controlled by someone of your choosing anywhere in the world…
- a contraception masterpost (reblogged)
- how to eat pussy (an illustrated guide)
- some arty sex blogs (or sexy art blogs, i guess!)
feel free to reblog in full :)
oh my god, awesomeness overload.
there are way too many questions in my inbox deserving of an answer (not to mention sexy submissions worthy of sharing) so i’m going to turn off my ask for a little while until i’m caught up. (well, sort of.)
love, holly. x
Q:Do you know any blogs similar to yours or as good as yours?
Similar blogs? Not really, which is why I started this blog in the first place.
But I’ll pose the question to my followers so maybe they can list some blogs with similar content to follow.
How about it followers? Any suggestions?
top 6 including you (:
Oh my! I am going to gently suggest that I’m not at all similar to these blogs. I AM similar to these blogs but I offer so much more. I have erotic stories, audios, social commentary, and so much more.